Sunday 9 May 2010

The Big Bopper, Ritchie Valence and Buddy Holly

Who remembers the Big Bopper?

"What is that song he sang? It's on the tip of my tongue!", you might be saying.

Come on! Have a think!

Yes, Chantilly Lace and here it is!

You know I used to sing this and knew every word - got everyone's feet tapping in the days when my hips were in mint condition! LOL



But there was tragedy around that time in 1959



I did not know Ritchie Valence very well but I just loved Buddy Holly. I had ocassion to send the URL of Maybe Baby to a great friend today and this inspired me to write this post.
Here is my favourite song by Buddy, True Love Ways. Enjoy.



Isn't it sad that these three plus the pilot were all killed in the plane crash?
Come to think of it a lot of singers have been killed in plane crashes. You may know more but here are five more I can think of - I know there are more:

Ricky Nelson
Jim Reeves
Patsy Cline
Otis Redding
Aaliyah
Jim Denver (I think)

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Eddie,

    This is simply wonderful! I love the news clip! These guys were simply terrific! Ricky Valens was really great too! I think there was a movie made about him as well...Love this post! I'm glad you were inspired to write it! Hugs, Janine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eddie....I LOVE Richie Valens' voice...and have watched "LaBamba" more times than I can count...such a tragedy that these men were killed in the plane crash.
    I hadn't heard the news clip....this was a first for me. Thank you for sharing, Eddie....
    Hugs and smiles to you from Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was John Denver, not Jim, and yes I remember all these songs. We used to dance to them at sock hops and like you I use to know all the words to the songs. We use to jive for hours now I'm now sure I could make it through one song......I am pathetic.
    Hope you are feeling well my friend....:-)Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes, Bernie, yes it was John Denver and a sad loss.
    Another senior moment of mine calling him Jim LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. No you are not pathetic, Bernie. None of us can do the things we used to do. As we are all Christians here I can say one day ALL true believers will be young again. I claim the first jive! Hugs Eddie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, cher! I loved buddy Holly, too, and Chantilly Lace was one of my faves. But, come on now, ya'll are not that old! If my Dad is 88 and still does everything, so can you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, pull up a chair and enjoy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails