Saturday 21 January 2012

Moonlight Sonata and a Surprise

Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata No 14 in C-sharp minor has always been a favourite of mine, although the key signature is rather tricky.  I used to play the slow first movement reasonably well on a good day, although by no means well enough to play before an audience other than next door's cat.  However it is the final 3rd movement which really 'grabbed' me, and still does, and I must confess when no-one was around I did have a go at it now and then, but usually ended up getting totally frustrated with my poor technique and disobedient fingers hitting the wrong keys.

I have a video You Tube of Wilhelm Kempff playing.  Sadly he passed away in 1991 to join many other great departed pianists.  I remember seeing Rubinstein playing this wonderfully at a concert in Bristol when Mrs Bluelights and I were in our 20s. not long ago LOL.



Hope you enjoyed that and now a surprise. Imagine this piece played on electric guitar!! Well no need to imagine it because we can hear it. I just wonder what Beethoven would have made of it and whether he would have welcomed having a pair of digital hearing aids so he could hear this. Do you think he would have accepted them or handed them back in disgust?

Personally I think the technique of Dr.Viossy playing is brilliant although it is a pity some of his intricate playing is drowned by the synthesisers, and perhaps he plays it a little too quickly.



Now what do you make of that?

Oh! and there is another fantastic guitar performance but this time a rendition of Mozart's Turkish Rondo played . . . . . . wait for it . . . . by two men on one guitar. See HERE

2 comments:

  1. As I watch and listen to the first video you posted, I am impressed with the memorization skills of the pianist. Incredible to have that kind of memory. I don't think I will ever have the talent or memory to play anything nearly as beautiful as this. I am blessed to have a beautiful black grand piano at our church to play on...but I never make it sound like this...sigh.
    The guitarist is phenomenal! I loved listening to him! He is an incredibly talented musician.
    Again, I am so impressed with the memorization skills of these artists. To hear him play Beethoven's 3rd Movement of Moonlight Sonata on his guitar is amazing. Thank you for posting these, Eddie.
    I send you warm hugs and smiles....
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Cow!

    Now that's the kind of talent that causes envy. My piano skills are less than mediocre, and my guitar skills are nil, but my hearing is good, and I thank my lucky stars that I can enjoy masters such as these.

    Thx, Eddie!
    xoxoxo, cd

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, pull up a chair and enjoy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails