Thursday 11 March 2010

The Oldest Swinger In Town

So you think I'm the oldest swinger in town, eh!!
Well I've got one thing to say to you - read the T shirt!!! LOL
OK - I suppose now I have an artificial hip you might be tempted to say, "This chap's walking around with very little he started out with!"


No, this well loved song was a great hit and sung by a local entertainer, near Bristol. He reached number six in the UK hit parade in 1981. The man who wrote it and performed it was Fred Wedlock, a much loved fellow from the Bristol area. Sadly he died this week aged 67 after a heart attack following pneumonia.

His funeral is today, Monday 16 March in a beautiful church, St Mary Redcliffe, near the center of Bristol at 13.30hrs. It is expected the church will be packed with family, fans and friends. His daughter, Hannah Wedlock sings Jazz throughout the South West and is a highly accomplished performer.

I still find Fred's rendition of this favourite song highly amusing.


10 comments:

  1. I had not heard this song before Eddie or I don't remember ever hearing it. Sad that he has passed, he was not very old......:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious song, cher! Love his sense of humor! So sorry for your loss. You are in my thoughts, mon ami.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying to find this post...Saw it on my dash sometime yesterday...but thought it was on Clouds...just goes to show you how busy I've been...can't remember a thing!!! Wonderful song!!! love it!!! So sorry that he died!!! I'm sure you will greatly miss him!!! Big hugs, Janine

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. As usual, your witty words and tremendous talent for humor amaze me my friend!!! You are gifted!!! ~J.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.P.S. ((laughing)) Just want you to know that while I believe you are most certainly a swinger, the designations "old" or "oldest" definitely do NOT apply!!! Hugs, J.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad someone thinks I'm not totally clapped out - LOL The Bionic Man rises from the ashes!!! and is now very hip!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very hip, huh? Great pun! ;-) LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eddie...this one was a 'smiler' indeed!
    I love the photo of the gent with the birthday cake. You know you're old when you need a fire extinquisher for the birthday cake. Don't worry.
    You're not there yet. Keep smiling...(you keep me smiling!)
    Many warm smiles,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pity that Fred died. He was the same age as me! I admired him very much.
    Glad you are doing so well after your op. I knew you would gallop back.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, when are you going to post pics of your new hip in action?!!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, pull up a chair and enjoy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails