Tuesday 21 July 2009

St George and The Dragon

ST GEORGE AND THE DRAGON
by R.P.Weston and Bert Lee (1935)

Photo - Eddie Bluelights - June 2009


Some folks'll boast of their family trees,
And there's some trees they ought to lop;
But our family tree, believe me, goes right back;
You can see monkeys sitting on top.

To give you some idea of our family tree,
And don't think I'm boastin' or braggin',
My great, great, great, great, great, great, great Uncle George,
Were the Saint George who slaughtered the dragon.

Aye, he were a blacksmith, not one of the sort
Who shoe horses and sing anvil choruses,
He used to shoe 'Dinasauss' - big woolly Elephants,
And thumping great Brontosauruses.

Well, one day while he shod a Brontasaurus,
A 'feller' ran into a forge,
He were shivering with fright and his face pale and white,
And when he got his breath he said, "George

"Eh, I've seen a dragon, a whopping great dragon,"
And uncle said, "Seen what ? - A dragon ?
Thou'd best see a doctor, you've got 'em owld lad,
Eh, I thought you were on water wagon!"

But the fellow said, "Nay, 'twere a big fiery dragon,
‘Twere belchin' out fire as it run!"
And Uncle George said, "I could do with a dragon
With coal now at two quid a ton."

And the 'feller' said, "Eh, but what's more
I've just heard that the old Baron up at the Castle
Says, him as kills Dragon can marry his daughter,
She's lovely and she's worth a parcel."

Then fellow goes off and old Uncle George thinks,
Of the brass and the bride in old satin,
So he brings out his pup and a pair of his ferrets,
And says to 'em, "We're going ratting."

The ferrets they cocked up their noses with joy,
And the old Bull pup's tail kept a-waggin',
Then Uncle George shoves 'em aside rabbit hole,
And says to 'em, "Go on, fetch Dragon."

Then suddenly he smells a 'sulphury' smell,
Then he sees a big gigantic lizzard,
With smoke coming out of its eyes and its ear'oles,
And flames coming out of its gizzard.

And was George afraid ? - Yes he was and he run,
And he hid there in one of the ditches,
While the Dragon, the pig, ate his ferrets and pup,
Aye, best of his prize-winning er - she dogs.

Then George said, "Gad zooks! I'll split thee to the wizzen,
By gum, but he were in a fury,
And he runs to a junk shop, and buys a spear,
And he pinches a Drayhourse from Brew'ry.

Then he sallies forth with a teatray on chest,
On his head he'd a big copper kettle,
With a couple of flat irons to throw at the Dragon,
Owd George were a real man of mettle!

At last he meets Dragon beside of the pump,
Dragon sees him and breathes fire and slaughter,
But George he were ready and in Dragon's mouth,
He just throws a big pail of water!

The Dragon's breath sizzled he'd put out the fire,
Our family are all clever fellows!
Then so as that owd Dragon can't blow up more fire,
With his big spear he punctures his bellows.

Then finding he'd killed it he out with his knife,
He had gumption beside other merits -
And he cuts open Dragon, and under its vest,
Safe and sound are the pup and the ferrets.

That night Old Baron gave Uncle his bride,
When he saw her he fainted with horror,
She'd a face like a kite, worse than that the Old Baron
Said, "George, you'll be Saint George tomorrow."

'Course, as St George t'were no drinking nor smoking,
They barred him horse racing as well,
And poor old St George, when he looked at his Bride,
Used to wish that old Dragon to ... Blazes!

And he got so fed up with being a Saint,
And the Princess he'd won always naggin',
That he bunked off one day and he opened a pub,
And he called it the 'George and the Dragon'.

And he did a fine trade, eh, for years and for years.
People all came from near and from far there
Just to see Uncle George and the Dragon which he had had,
Stuffed and hung up in the bar there.

'Twere a thousand feet long and three hundred feet wide,
But one day when a big crowd observed it,
It fell off the nail and squashed Uncle George,
And the blinking old liar deserved it.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Eddie...I was here too!! You know me....I follow your blogs thither and yon!!
    I'm going to have to brush up on my "Brit"...though...I thought English was English....but it's not....and I'm reading and re-reading these....chuckling...at my lack of knowledge of the language...and of the poem too.
    Thank you for sharing.
    I didn't tell you on your other blog page (I left it out...and meant to put it in)...but I do like the change of uniform. Very nice!
    Take good care of you, Eddie.
    Smiles from Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very nice post mister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to smile at my 'dirst' question....
    And do I feel like a donkey after I realize that you meant 'first'......but at least you know I read every word!!!
    Hugs and smiles to you, Eddie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Eddie, I missed your poems while on vacation and when I read this one (twice) I realized why.....like Jackie it has taken me a while to understand and (still enjoyed it) I finally "got" it. I, too must brush up on my English....LOL .....:-) Bernie

    ReplyDelete
  5. In fairness to non English, English, Britty people these monologues are written in a Northern Dialect,Lancashire,(Braun Boots in Cockney English) so it is non standard BBC English and I think you are doing a really great job understanding them at all - well done. Some here would be hard pressed to do so, and Bristolian to a non Brostolian is night impossible to understand, but this dialect does not apply here of course. I must do some more monologues soon - not many left now, then I might do a couple myself!! (now that's a challenge! - thanks for your support ~ Eddie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite honestly, I think you'd do a fine job writing your own monologues, Eddie.
    Go for it!!
    I'll be here, of course!
    Smiles and hugs,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Long live the good olde (northern) English monologue!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trouble at mill!
    Great stuff eddie, luv it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the rhythm and the rhymes in these old poems, and I can just hear Stanley Holloway's voice reciting them. I had to read this one out loud just so I could get into the swing of it. Reminds me of my childhood!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, pull up a chair and enjoy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails